|Season 1, Episode 06|
|Air date||October 20, 1990|
|Written by||Doug Molitor|
Last of Her Kind
The Conqueror is the sixth episode in the first season of Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
The main characters featured in this episode are:
After failing to stop a forest fire on a small island, Kwame, Wheeler, Linka, and Gi feel like their powers were just not strong enough to handle even minor eco-emergencies, but Ma-Ti disagrees. They then come across a mysterious meteorite, which turns out to be the ship of Zarm, the former Spirit of Earth. After tempting the Planeteers (minus Ma-Ti) with gauntlets that increase their elemental powers many fold, they slowly become destructive. Ma-Ti retreats and informs Gaia, who is shocked upon finding out Zarm is on Earth, and that he's now the Spirit of Destruction. Gaia, now mortal, and Ma-Ti have to free the other Planeteers from their corruption.
Captain Planet: It isn't just grown-ups who help destroy our planet.
Wheeler: Some kids do it with graffiti.
Gi: Some kids do it with vandalism.
Linka: And some do it when they don't stop to think.
Gaia: (showing the same landscape twice – first flourishing and beautiful, then destroyed) Earth can be like this – or like this.
Kwame: We can destroy it with our hate...
Ma-Ti: Or save it with our love.
Captain Planet: The power is yours!
Significant Moments and FactsEdit
- Zarm appears for the first time.
- Ma-Ti finding Zarm's heart empty can be seen as the foreshadowing of the revelation from Summit to Save Earth Part II.
- Gaia is turned mortal for the first time.
- Because Ma-Ti didn't accept the "Hearts of Conquest" Iron Fist, the five powers of conquest weren't combined to summon a possible "Captain Conquest" (another evil counterpart of Captain Planet).
- Despite staying behind on the island and sticking on Gaia's side, Ma-Ti is erroneously shown as if he accepted Zarm's offer. For reference, see the pictures.
- Ma-Ti's silhouette can be seen between Kwame and Wheeler.
- The top of Ma-Ti's head is visible in the back of the geo-cruiser.
- Ma-Ti looks as if he wore an Iron Fist.
- When Gi removes her Iron Fist, her ring can be seen still on her finger.
- Wheeler: Is this an invasion? Like in the movies?
Zarm: (with a laugh) No. I cannot even venture into your environment. But you may step into mine.
Ma-Ti: We really should ask Gaia first. She is the Spirit of our planet.
Zarm: What a meek spirit she must be – to have such (his eyes start glowing red) timid followers.
Wheeler: Gaia is not meek! And neither are we. (to other Planeteers) Right?
- Ma-Ti: (to himself) I do not trust him. Zarm's heart is so... empty.
- Zarm: (showing the Iron Fists) I have chosen you, Planeteers to wear these. They will increase your power of the elements a hundred fold.
Wheeler: I'll have a hundred times the scorch power?
Zarm: What of you, Ma-Ti? You can control the hearts of the world with this.
Ma-Ti: Gaia gave us all the power we need, Wheeler. We should not do anything until we talk to her.
Wheeler: Come on, Ma-Ti. I'm sure Gaia would O.K. What's wrong with having more power?
Linka: As Zarm said, we could have stopped that fire ourselves.
Wheeler: My hand won't go in!
Zarm: I think you need to remove your ring.
Wheeler: But Gaia gave us these rings!
Zarm: Well... (his eyes start glowing red) if you're afraid...
Wheeler: I am not afraid! (takes off his ring and puts it in his pocket)
Linka: I am not so sure you should do that, Wheeler.
Wheeler: Hey, we're Planeteers! We can take care of ourselves!
- Ma-Ti: (about the other Planeteers) After Zarm gave them the Iron Fists, they started arguing with each other.
Gaia: Did you say “Zarm”?
Zarm: That's right... Gaia. It's been ages since we've seen each other.
Gaia: Yes, it has been ages, Zarm; but not nearly long enough.
- Gaia, being on the island, watches Linka destroy the missile base with the Wind of Conquest.
Linka: (laughing) My power really blows them away!
Gaia: (with a pained expression on her face) Linka, no! (falls to her knees)
Ma-Ti: Gaia, what is wrong? What is happening to you?
Gaia: The Planeteers must not abandon their way of peace. If they do, I will become mortal, and the Earth itself could die.
- Ma-Ti: Oh, no, Gaia! You are mortal!
Gaia: Believe me, I feel mortal. Now I must get to the missile base.
Ma-Ti: You cannot go there now! Your life would be in danger!
Gaia: I know. But peace requires a brave heart.
- Wheeler: Fires of Con...
Linka: Wheeler! STOP! Gaia and Ma-Ti are standing in the way! And Gaia looks solid, like us! She looks... human.
Gi: (looking through binoculars) Linka's right!
Wheeler: (horrified) I could've fried her!
- Zarm: Gaia, you meddler! I will show you what it means to be mortal!
Zarm pushes a button causing a laser-like power hit the missile silos' remains close to Gaia and Ma-Ti.
Gaia: (in fear) Planeteers!
Ma-Ti successfully escapes, but Gaia falls to the ground, letting go of Zarm's crystal ball and apparently getting crushed by the collapsing rubble.
Kwame lifts Gaia, while Wheeler and Linka work on freeing her leg trapped in the debris.
Gaia: (weakly) You see what can happen when destruction is your method?
Linka: It is true! You are not a spirit – you are bleeding!
- Back on Hope Island.
Gaia: To save the planet, we need to work together – and share.
Wheeler: Sure, Gaia. We get the hint. (to the audience) Your turn.
Captain Planet: (offscreen) The power is yours!